Friday, October 5, 2007

Amazed

I feel amazed every time I look at Amalea. Amazed that God choose Jim and I to be parents for this child, amazed that she was in my stomach less than a week ago, amazed that she is healthy and strong, amazed that Jim is such a great daddy, amazed, amazed, amazed.

I am recovering well. The whole birthing experience was insane. I nearly made it without any drugs, but when I got to being 9 cm dialated I just couldn't do it anymore - all I wanted was a break. I got some much needed rest with the medicine and then they turned it off so I could start pushing. The doctors were certain it would be an easy delivery since Amalea appeared to be low and ready. I was not prepared to push for 2.5 hours without any breaks. My contractions were 1 minute apart so there literally was no rest. By this time all the medicine had worn off and the pain was a bit intense. The doctors ended up trying the vacuum (and leaving a nice little bruise on Amalea's head), but even that didn't exactly work. It helped though and finally our little girl entered the world.
The only problem was that there was no cry. The sweet sound I craved to hear didn't come and instead the doctors begin yelling "code pink". 2 or 3 more doctors rushed in and started working on Amalea. Jim and I didn't know what was going on and we just prayed and cried and begged for God to give us the sound of her cry. The doctors told us that she was breathing and that she was ok, but it was a very scary few moments for us. They did have to take Amalea away for a little bit and do some work on her, including pumping her with drugs, suctioning her stomach, and who knows what else.
The intensity of the birth definitely made Monday hard on all of us. Amalea was extremely out of it all day (too many drugs) and I was as well. She wouldn't nurse so they had to give her formula which she just threw up. We told the doctors Tuesday morning that we did not want her to have formula and that they did not have our permission to give her any (though some nurses still wanted to). All she needed was time and by Tuesday night she was nursing wonderfully.
Needless to say the whole experience was quite incredible. Yes painful, but also worth it. Amalea is a true joy and as I said earlier I am constantly in a state of being amazed by her every move and sound.
I thank you all for your prayers and phone calls and visits. I am looking forward to being without pain so that I have nothing hindering my attention from sweet Amalea.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You guys are simply amazing. Enough said. :)