Friday, October 19, 2007

A FATHER'S FRUSTRATION

It's 11:20pm. Robin has gone to bed because she is exhausted, and rightly so. She feeds Amalea almost every 2 hours... and in between Amalea just seems fussy a lot of the time, mostly at night. And so I take her and try to get her to sleep. We walk around the house a billion times, rock in the rocking chair, I sing her stupid little songs I make up, I stand and cradle her and rock her back and forth; and on and on she cries. What the hell am I suppose to do?

See the problem, a lot of the time, is that she is hungry. And I can't do anything about that. We are trying to solely breastfeed, so we are trying to stay away from formula, which means when Amalea is hungry, she needs mommy. So how am I, as dad, suppose to help my wife, mom, when she is dead tired, her body is soar, and she just needs sleep - but Amalea is hungry?

I find this so frustrating... that there is NOTHING I can do to calm her down... I feel so worthless.

But alas, I am sitting here typing in Amalea's blog...and Amalea is silent, almost asleep. Ok, so I put her in the swing... the one with the fishes and the light that changes colors and the 5 different sounds... I chose rain tonight, and it worked. Like a drug it worked. Which freaks me out... but you get to a point... where you'll try anything... even an artificial mechanical swing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi guys. I know that things are crazy right now, and we will be praying for you and your precious Amalea. I completely support that you are trying to solely breastfeed, but if it is making things so hard and you are both so exhausted - it's not going to hurt Amalea if she has a couple bottles a day and Robie gets to rest. Just a suggestion. We support you all and love you. You are such incredible and commited parents with the most sincere hearts.