Saturday, October 13, 2007

OK, NOW IT'S FOR REAL

Enough of the fluffy adjectives about how great it is to have a child. Bottom line is, it's hard. I'm starting to have a deep empathy and understanding of all parents and what they had to go through to raise each of us. Sure some of us were probably harder then others, but newborn babies are just all around hard to deal with.

There is the feeding every 2-3 hours (in Amalea's case it feels like every hour). Then there is the screaming, oh she's good at screaming. She should be a deep sea diver one day because sometimes she goes for minutes without breathing because she is screaming. My mom says my sister was the same way - great. Thanks Steph. Then there are the diapers, which actually are the easiest part in my opinion.

Amalea is almost two weeks old, and I feel like we've reached a beginning point of having to realize that this is our life now... whether we like it or not, we have to cater to our little ones needs and outbursts and sleeping patterns and everything else. What can we do, just ignore her?!? No way. But when it's 4am and she's hungry and poopy and she's been fed every two hours all night and we both haven't slept much, there is a moment when you hesitate - like just before jumping into a cold pool - and you say something like, "ok. Here we go again." and you just do it. Over and over.

It's a humbling experience. I'm not saying we're hating it - in the end, we look at her and are still overwhelmed with emotions - mostly love - and we agree it's worth it. But as all of you who have kids already know and don't need pointed out, it's hard. We're just acknowledging our weakness.

Amalea sure is feisty - but I wouldn't want her any other way.

It rained today. We love Rayne.

1 comment:

Cyndi "Mom" Krill said...

Ahhh, yes, Jim & Robin, sounds like the reality of parenthood has set in. I can only smile when I read "OK, Now it's for real". And yes, you are right again...it's so worth it...you are responsible for a life, an eternal life!!! It's that important...I look back and wonder how I ever raised 5 kids...I can only give the credit to God who helped me get through each day, one day at a time! If I had it to do all over again...I would give even more of myself than I did and realize the years pass only too fast! But this is the fun time...being a grandparent is the best...enjoy the children, be involved in their activities, play with them, read to them, sing with them, pray with them, eat with them, and then go home and get a good night's sleep! Your turn will come unless the Lord comes soon!!! See you on the 26th...love to sweet little Rayne.